Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Ashland University biology alumnus to start medical school this Fall

One of our recent alumni, Bryce Patterson (Biology '23), will be starting the medical school program at the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine this Fall. We recently asked Bryce some questions about what he has been up to in the past year and his advice for preparing for medical school:

What have you been up to since graduating from Ashland University? 

Since graduating from Ashland I have completed my Masters degree in medical science through Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine which afforded me the opportunity to get accepted into their Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.) program. 

How do you feel that the science programs at Ashland University prepared you for your graduate program? 

I can say with certainty that the science programs at Ashland, specifically the Biology and Chemistry departments, not only prepared me for my Masters program but allowed me to excel in it. The rigor of the science programs at Ashland truly prepared me for the demanding nature of a Masters program. The quality of education though that I received from all of my professors is what truly stands out to me because I wasn’t just learning material and then regurgitating it for tests, rather I was mastering concepts and learning how to teach it to my peers which allowed for a much deeper understanding of the concepts which then went well and beyond what I needed to succeed in my classes. 

What advice do you have for students thinking about a career in medicine and with interest in medical school? 

Advice that I would give for students interested in medicine is to go and get some experience of some sort. Whether that be shadowing someone who does what you are interested in or possibly becoming a healthcare provider in some capacity whether that be an EMT, MA, scribing in the ER, or volunteering at a nursing home. With respect to medical school specifically don’t think that you have to be the cookie cutter perfect applicant that everyone thinks you have to be. Nontraditional students are more and more common and speaking as one myself it will not hamper your chances at getting into medical school. Taking a year to complete my Masters before going to medical school is one of the best decisions I could have made for myself because it allowed me to learn things about myself regarding study habits and such that would have been hard to figure out during medical school. I encourage anyone applying who may feel weary to check out masters programs that medical schools offer or look into the one at LECOM that I completed because I only have good things to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment