Monday, September 5, 2011

Biochemistry major spends summer at Marshall University

Marie Southerland, a senior biochemistry major, spent a second summer at Marshall University conducting a research internship. She worked in the microbiology lab of Dr. Hongwei Yu and studied the harmful effects of Pseudomonas aeruginosa on patients with cystic fibrosis. Her project focused on a protein called Pil A. She investigated its phenotype and the effect that it has on the production of biofilm as a protection against the host's immune system as well as antibiotics.

Marie writes: “My experience at Marshall these past two summers are absolutely invaluable. I have been able to take the knowledge I have gained in my Ashland classes and apply them in a research setting. I am now more comfortable in lab and I think that comes from being able to see that mistakes are made by everyone and what matters is how you deal with them. I was also able to write and put together my own poster and present it at the West Virginia Summer Research Symposium. Along with that, I got to take my work from last summer and present it at the Ohio Branch American Society of Microbiology meeting with Dr. Greene. An internship is a great way to gain experience in all aspects that come with research and I would recommend that every undergraduate student participate in one! I never thought I would get the opportunity to go somewhere like Marshall but that just goes to show you really never know what will happen until you apply!"

No comments:

Post a Comment