Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Ashland Alumna earns Chemistry Ph.D.

 AU biochemistry alumna Mallorie Boron (’13) recently completed her Ph.D. in Clinical-Bioanalytical Chemistry at Cleveland State University.  While at Ashland, she worked with Dr. Jeff Weidenhamer to study the leaching of cadmium from inexpensive, high-cadmium jewelry and was very involved in the student American Chemical Society group.  She recently took some time to answer some questions about her Ph.D. research and how her work at AU prepared her for graduate school

What was your Ph.D. research about?

My dissertation research had two main projects. Both projects focused on thrombomodulin (TM), a protein involved in maintaining homeostasis and inflammation. In my first project I studied how THP-1 monocytes and macrophages express TM differently. TM is mostly studied in its endothelial cell form and its role in monocytes and macrophages is poorly understood. It was found that macrophages express TM in lesser amounts than monocytes. This observation led to my second project, which was to reintroduce TM to the cell surface of macrophages. Our lab has developed a recombinant form of TM that retains only its anticoagulant properties and I modified it to contain a cholesterol anchor. The cholesterol anchor allows for the recombinant TM to quickly anchor into the plasma membrane of macrophages. This potentially allows macrophages to be a cell-based anticoagulant therapeutic.

What is your current position, or your plans?

I am currently working as a visiting scientist in my graduate lab but am looking for my next job.

How did your time at Ashland prepare you for the future?

My undergraduate coursework at AU definitely gave me an edge entering graduate school. The small class sizes allow professors to engage students better and allow for a better learning atmosphere, which I directly benefitted from. The main advantage the AU science program has over other universities is its lab courses. I was able to gain critical hands-on experiences with many different instruments with engaging assignments. The ability to do independent research also strengthen my laboratory skills and strengthened my love for research. I owe a lot of my success to the AU chemistry department and the wonderful professors who taught me.

Do you have any advice for students preparing for graduate school?

My best advice for students preparing for graduate school is to find a project that you find interesting and an advisor you can communicate well with. You will be spending a lot of time with your project and it is more fulfilling if it is a story you find meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment