Wednesday, August 4, 2021

AU Grad Puts Medical Skills into Practice in Kenya

Dr. Meghann Fitzpatrick Burns (Biology ’17) is living her dream of working as a physician following her graduation from Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine.  Currently fulfilling her residency as an OB/GYN in Bowling Green, Kentucky, Dr. Burns (Meg) recently had the opportunity to serve her final medical school rotation working in the maternity ward of Tenwek Hospital near Bomet, Kenya with Samaritan's Purse.

About her experience in Kenya, Meg finds it difficult to summarize briefly but offered a number of reflections about her experience:

“The first couple of days in the hospital consisted of basically just trying to get my bearings. Several Kenyan general interns (they spoke English extremely well) and two full time American OB/GYNs worked there. Every morning we saw up to 25-30 patients on rounds. Occasionally there would be 2-3 women to a bed in labor. When they were fully dilated, they would move to a different room on beds with plastic coverings separated only by a sheet hanging from the ceiling in between. Pain medications were not an option and as soon as they delivered, they got up, went to rinse off, and go back to the shared bed. The afternoons were typically spent either doing C-sections or other surgeries. Though I did several for practice, vaginal deliveries were typically performed by nurse midwives.”

Meg adds:

“Typically, I assisted in surgeries and c-sections. During my third week I was with one of the American attendings and she traded places with me at the OR table. I can only imagine how big my eyes were when they handed me the scalpel and I started my very first c-section as the primary surgeon. I did this one other time and assisted several more before leaving.  In a single month I saw two cases of Stage IV cervical cancer with extension into the bladder - because of this I have a whole new appreciation for pap smears and preventative medicine in general.”

While she was there, Meg also had the opportunity to go out on safari.  She writes, “Africa is so much more beautiful than I imagined. Everything is so green and lush. We were there during rainy season so every afternoon it poured but the temperature was comfortable all the time. After seeing these animals in their natural state (sometimes only about 15 feet away!) I don't think a Zoo is ever going to do it for me again.”


What was the best part of your Ashland University experience?

“The best part of my time at AU would have to be my experience playing college tennis. I gained amazing friendships and learned invaluable life lessons about hard work, resiliency, and a positive attitude that carried me through medical school and will be what carry me through OB/GYN residency, too.”

 

What were the highlights of the AU Science Program for you and how did it prepare you for medical school?

“The highlight of science at AU was undoubtedly the cookware research project I did with Dr. Weidenhamer! I loved that our project directly correlated to people's health in third world nations. During my 2.5 years of working on this project, I learned so much about research methods, presenting information, and generating new ideas. The faculty members at AU, specifically the science department, were always so supportive of me and my goal to pursue medicine.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment